Chase Jarvis is a professional photographer who has produced images for some of the biggest companies in the world, including Toyota, Mountain Dew, Reebok and SanDisk.
These works are not the type of image I want to create, awesome as they are. What drew me to look at Chase is a project named Seattle100. It is described on his website as a 'snapshot in time of a city' and consists of musicians, dancers, artists, dj's and other cultural leaders.
I am a huge fan of black and white images. What I like about these images (and what brought me to them) is that they are all a bit different to the 'normal' studio portrait. They are all framed for dramatic effect - Image 3 for example, is just someone pulling up a sock. It is different. You can deduce so much from a sectional portrait without ever needing to see a face. Image 2 is similar, you get the sense that this man is very important without the need to see anything else. Images 5 and 6 are both similar, because they include more than just the white background - they include what is behind it, lights, concrete wall, chairs. This makes the image stand out next to your conventional portrait. I am unsure as to whether the reflection in the handmirror and the spraypaint have been added in post-production, but even if it has it has been done extremely well. I have no issues with adding things in post production, and intend to do so.





Hi
ReplyDeleteA really modern approach to photography in the studio, creative and full of character from the people who were photographed.As we discussed the same lighting for all work, which is a bit like the modern Venture studios that run portrait studios across the country. Analyse what these images are of and you will find what works for you. Also you need to sort some to photograph so you can practice, practice, practice.........
Steve