Saturday, 26 March 2011

Jared Polin - FroKnowsPhoto.com

Jared Polin is a photographer from Richboro, Pennsylvania. A jack of all trades, he covers weddings, live music, portraits, sports and other events. Not as well known as Chase Jarvis, he is the co-founder and frontman of FroKnowsPhoto.com - A website dedicated to helping others progress with photography. At the time of writing the FroKnowsPhoto youtube page has over 16,800 subscribers, and has a new video uploaded almost every other day.

I wish to produce similar work to the images below, with my favourites being the 1st and 4th image in this set. The 1st image, a self-portrait, almost makes me laugh. Simple, yet effective, the fairly shallow depth of field draws attention to his iPhone and the image it shows. Again, I cant tell whether this has been 'shopped or not. I suspect so, but would like to think not.
The 4th image in the set is of 2 members of the band SINAI, and were taken in a dressing room before a show. Although it looks like it could be candid, it was staged as Jared was following the band for the day, in the buildup to a show.

I really like the composition of this image. Great use of frames within a frame (I cant tell if its photoshopped, I think so but it is very well done). The focal point is his eyes. Use of colour isn't a talking point in this image. There is a little bit of texture coming through in his hair. There are different scales in this image, (smaller face on the phone) - if you imagine the picture on the phone blended onto his face, it would be really small. If you apply the rule of thirds, the phone is almost perfectly central on the grid. Shape - rectangular phone. I feel this image wouldn't work in black and white.


What interests me most in this image in the the way the straight lines lead to the centre, almost a vanishing point. It has a wide tonal range. The focus us set on the interviewer, but you are led to the centre of the image. The shelter they are in appears to be of a large scale. It obeys the rule of thirds as they are off to the right of the image (albeit only marginally). It is framed well, he hasn't cut off any part of his subject and he makes use of the strong available light. The only other thing worth pointing out is that you can see his shadow in the lower right corner of the image, but has covered it with his logo.

Jared takes questions on Skype for the FroKnowsPhoto page, and it is here I intend to find out more.

2 comments:

  1. HI
    I will help you to analyse these images in the next session,Its quite hard to do until you get how to do it. Also you could look at the tutor site to help you and have a go yourself first.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    You need to get someone to photograph either at home as we discussed so you can practice what you are researching for yourself.
    This needs to happen now really so I can see some of your work. In this way we can sit and analyse how well you did and what we can put in place for next time.
    I will help you with the labels, etc.....

    Steve

    ReplyDelete